Monday, August 29, 2011

Just a thought

Bismillah,

Assalamu alaikum warahmatullah wabarakatuh Ya Muslimeen!!

I went through my old stuff tonight looking for a text book which I think I sold back...anyway that is not the point. As I was searching I found old journals that I have kept over the years. I think each and everyone of us needs to keep one! Journals reflect our state of mind...in the Muslim's perspective, it reflects our state of IMAN! As I read through them tonight, some made me smile, others made me think deeper and yet others reminded me of some heartaches I went through in life. I was never one to keep journals----I was a tomboy. I did not like diaries and I was not one to play with barbies. I started writing journals about the same time I started practicing Islam....at about age 17, just three years ago! It is kinda of funny thinking about how mature I have become over these few years subhana'Allah.

My writings there reflect ups and downs of my Imaan.....in fact at the beginning of my journal, I was somewhat low and in the middle, my Imaan peaked so HIGH and then it dropped soo LOW! which is probably why I stopped writing. Journals are a secret friend if you use it for the write reasons. Pick up a journal today and write an entry reflecting back at your day. What have you done to please Allah? what will you change tomorrow if you were given a second chance? How do you feel? You can also use journals to write for someone that you love. If our beloved prophet were to read your journals what would you put in there? what do you wish to tell Allah?

I used to do alot of entries when I was upset or angry at someone. I would write about the situation, how I felt and would sometimes (actually most of the time) end up crying and.......... voila I'd feel better after reading what I wrote! There are plenty of different reasons for keeping a journal, but one big one which I just thought about after seeing my old journals is keeping ones self on check. If you ever hear of "judge yourself before you're judged" this is a great way to do so. Hold yourself accountable for your daily activities, speech, and actions. After each entry make it your goal to improve yourself as time goes on. Also remember to be thankful to Allah for any good progress that you make on the way.

Now lets kind of review/list few good reasons why one should keep a journal.
1. Self reflection
2. A private conversation with God
3. Self improvements
4. Anger managing
5. Judge the soul

That is all I can think of now.....insha'Allah if I remember some more I'll add to that list.

3 comments:

  1. MashaAllah! I agree with you on this on each and every point up there. I remember how I felt when I read my exam papers of grade 8 when I was in grade 11. Subuhaanallah! Three years is easy to say and less in number(?), but if we count carefully, it comes to much more than 94,608,000 (Ninety Four Million Six Hundred and Eight Thousand) seconds of experience. Verily, Allah is the Greatest. :)

    So far I do not have habit of it, but yeah I think that can be a good idea to write at least some times if not always.

    JazakiAllahu Khairan sister.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to write a lot when I was younger - you're completely right, sister. Writing eases your soul and is very relaxing and peaceful. I stopped writing them for fear of someone finding my journals though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wa iyaak brother irem (I will shorten that name/title...)
    Just so you know I did read that story on your blog. It had a great lesson, one we all need to learn and act upon. And I am now following your blog!

    ReplyDelete